Friday, February 19, 2010

Hit the Road, Jack

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time. Well, nine days. Yeah, that's for-EVER in the blogging world. But there's not a lot to post. I have pictures for a couple tutorials but we haven't put the pertinent programs on our cleaned computer yet for me to download them. And Baby is still safely residing in my uterus, despite the fact that my due date was Valentine's Day. Which makes me a little sad because 1) I wanna meet this kid! And 2) I think it would have been a little neat to have a Valentine's baby.

Hmm, what to post about? How about a mini rant? The Hubby, BuggaBoo, and I went for a walk yesterday. We walk a lot. People often comment on it. So, anyways, we were out, I was trying a new way of wearing BuggaBoo on my back and getting strange looks from Westernized Americans. Which, come on, I find it *so* much easier to tie a kid on me to do my shopping/walking than lugging a stroller around.

But the baby-wearing is not my rant. My rant is this: Jack in the Box had one of their semi-trucks in the parking lot. It had a quote from "Jack" on it that said, "Forget diamonds. Salads are a girl's best friend." And that just kinda ticked me off. So try to stay on for this crazy ride of a rambly rant, I'll try to make my point concisely.

First of all, the quote points to the fact that it's "understood" a woman is to look glamorous. You wear diamonds for glamor, they tell the world you have money and they sparkle. I'm not talking down diamonds, although I don't really get the hype, but that's what they're for. So, Women = Pretty.

So, forget the diamonds! Eat a salad! Point number two: You can only be glamorous/pretty if you're THIN, people! Eat a salad! Feel virtuous! And that salad better be your best friend, because your figure is more important than everything. Once again, I'm a big supporter of eating a healthy diet, but crazy dieting never helped anyone.

The Hubby thought it was funny. No, I'm not mad at him for that. We talked about it and what I saw when I read the quote and he agreed with me, that it was detrimental to women AND men because it holds up a stupid ideal. So this leads to point number three: This way of thinking is so pervasive that you don't consciously think about it anymore, it has become FUNNY.

Now, the salads they had pictured weren't "wimpy" ones, they were covered with fried chicken, cheese, and croutons. The calorie and fat count would rival a hamburger and fries. But the IDEA of a salad being slimming is what they are selling. So the disconnect between the quote and what they're actually selling also made me a bit mad.

So, I'm a little peeved at JITB. But I still love their fries.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Krista. Why do we as a society have such ridiculous expectations of women? BOO.

    And yay for baby wearing and walking lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the idea of eating a salad loaded with fried up chicken and croutons and any other unhealthy thing ticks me off too. Isn't a salad supposed to be enjoyed with healthy veggies and foods? It kind of defeats the purpose.
    I am glad to hear that you were able to walk so far, but sorry that it did not do anything for getting labor going. Hopefully that kid will want to come soon!

    ReplyDelete